DocsToBox Software FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
- What's the difference between deleting a storage box and destroying a storage box?
- How can I customize my folder labels?
- I'm receiving a message that a record is locked, but I'm the only person using DocsToBox.
How do I save my change?
- How do I move DocsToBox to a different computer?
What's the difference between deleting a storage box and destroying a storage box?
Deleting a storage box releases the file folders assigned to that box so that they can be assigned to a
different box. Destroying a storage box marks the box and all the file folders assigned to that box as being
destroyed. Unlike when you delete a storage box, the records remain in DocsToBox for future reference but
cannot be modified.
How can I customize my folder labels?
Select the items you wish to include on the folder label. (You can choose from the Folder Name, Folder
Period, Document Type, and Document Category.) Next, place each item on a line by selecting a line number
from the Line # box. Change the order the items are printed on a given line by selecting a different number
from the Order box. You can also add characters before and after each item by entering them into the appropriate
Before and After boxes (to add parentheses around the folder period for example).
I'm receiving a message that a record is locked, but I'm the only person using DocsToBox. How do I save my change?
If you are getting a message telling you a record is locked, and no other users are currently in DocsToBox,
then you need to run the ClearLock utility. You can either download the utility by clicking here or install
it from your DocsToBox CD. You can find the ClearLock utility on your CD on the main install menu or by browsing
to the ClearLock folder.
Once you have installed the utility, a menu option will be added to the DocsToBox program group on your Start button. Just
run the utility to release any locked records.
How do I move DocsToBox to a different computer?
Here are the steps necessary for moving DocsToBox from one computer to another:
- Make a backup of your current data on the old workstation (select the Backup Database... option from
the File menu). Save the backup file in a location that can be accessed by the new workstation.
- Install DocsToBox on the new computer and start DocsToBox.
- Select the DocsToBox Users... option from the Edit menu and make a note of the UserID listed.
- Restore your data from the backup (select the Restore from Backup... option from the File menu).
- At the end of the restore process you will probably see a message that starts with
You are no longer included in the list as a valid DocsToBox user....
- Select the DocsToBox Users... option from the Edit menu again and edit your record, changing the UserID to the ID you noted in step 3.
- Close DocsToBox.